My summer holiday has started and I have a lot of extra time for reading :). What’s more, I’m so overwhelmed by my free time and the amount of books where I told myself “ah, I’ll get round to it in the summer” that I’m reading five books at the same time (and consequently reading none).
The books I’m reading at the moment are:
- Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee – My friend Anne (from Books, Baking and Blogging) and I are buddy-reading this book, basically because we love chatting about books :). Our deadline is the 16th of August, but I’m going on holiday in the meantime and I don’t want to carry it around. So far I find it a bit dull, so I keep alternating it with:
- In Praise of Messy Lives by Katie Roiphe – A really delightful piece of non-fiction with essays on books, life, and other people’s narrow-mindedness. It’s been on my to-read list for a while, but when my grandfather mentioned it a few days ago he got me quite enthusiastic about it, so I dove into it as soon as I got home. One interesting woman, this Katie Roiphe.
- The Gaze by Elif Shafak – I adore Shafak’s writing (as you may remember from my review of The Bastard of Istanbul), so when I bought this book on an impulse I HAD to start reading it. I’m about half way now and it hasn’t disappointed yet.
- Cat Stories – My boyfriend gave me this short story collection for Christmas (he knows me so well) and I’ve been trying to read some more of it for a while now…
- Voor de Liefste Onbekende by Ingmar Heytze – I read a few of these Dutch poems every so often, but, like I’ve said before, I find it hard to read more than a few poems at a time, so I need to alternate it with a novel.
As you can probably guess, my reading feels like it is going five times as slow at the moment and that’s not very motivating. I generally only read one or possibly two books at a time, so this is quite a new feeling for me. All you experts out there, please tell me – how do you deal with this?
It also doesn’t help that Gilmore Girls had been added to Netflix recently *oops*. I had never seen it before, but my friends Anne and Fooke practically forced me to try it. And for my own good. I LOVE it :D. I’m currently on season 3…